The awarding of the Federal Perkins loans is suspended for 2019/20 because the program expired on September 30, 2017.
Perkins Loan Description
The Federal Perkins Loan is a need-based low-interest fixed rate (5%) loan for students. No interest is charged while students are enrolled in school at least half time. UNC Asheville is the lender and we have contracted with Heartland ECSI to service the Perkins loans once a student leaves school. The Financial Aid Office awards the Perkins Loans to eligible students; however, there are limited funds available. Once a Perkins Loan has been awarded to a student, they must complete loan documents with the Student Accounts Office.
Emergency Loan Description
Leonard S. Levitch Student Emergency Loans are interest-free, short-term loans. The purpose of the loan is to finance emergency expenses for currently enrolled UNC Asheville students for which resources are temporarily not available. A loan may be approved in the event an emergency has occurred to prevent students from having funds available for living expenses, such as food, rent, books, childcare, etc. Emergency loans cannot be approved to pay University charges, such as tuition and fees, since this is a planned expense.
The Emergency Loan funds are financed by the Leonard S. Levitch Student Loan Fund and must be repaid by the due date, generally 30 days from disbursement. In no case will the repayment date be approved beyond the first day of the last month of the semester in which the loan is borrowed (i.e., not after December 1st or May 1st).
The University will attempt to deduct your emergency loan repayment from any future financial aid you may be expecting, but it is not guaranteed. It is the borrower’s responsibility to repay the emergency loan by the due date. Failure to repay will result in a “hold” being placed on your academic records preventing you from registering for future classes and will prevent the release of your transcript and other records until you have repaid the loan.
Perkins Loan Eligibility
To be considered for a Perkins Loan at UNC Asheville, the student must meet the following requirements:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be admitted as a degree-seeking undergraduate student
- Enrolled full-time
- U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards as defined by the Financial Aid Office
- Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan
Perkins - New Borrowers
The following items must be completed to receive a Perkins Loan after it has been offered to a student by the Financial Aid Office.
- Accept the Perkins Loan in OnePort
- Complete the Perkins Entrance Counseling form
- Complete the Master Promissory Notes (MPN)
- Review and sign the Perkins Loan Disclosure
The Perkins Entrance Counseling form, MPN, and loan discloser form must all be submitted to the Student Accounts Office before the loan will disburse on an account. Student may print the above forms, complete them, and return the signed forms to:
Student Accounts Office
1 University Heights, CPO #1565
Asheville, NC 28804
Students may also sign the forms in the Student Accounts Office, located on the lower level of the Ramsey Library. Students who have not signed the paperwork within 30 days will have their loans cancelled for the academic year.
Perkins Loan Exit Interview & Repayment
An exit interview is a Federal Requirement when exiting the Perkins Loan Program. A student exits the Perkins Loan Program at the time they graduate or stop attending UNC Asheville. Failure to complete this requirement will result in a hold being placed on the student's account which restricts transcripts and registration. To fulfill the exit interview requirement, contact the Student Accounts Office at 828-251-6664.
While the University maintains your Perkins loan, Heartland ECSI will be responsible for sending you billing statements, receiving and processing your payments, reviewing and processing deferment and cancellation forms, and addressing all of your other customer service needs.
You may access the website at www.heartlandecsi.com, where you can obtain instructions on using borrower services, obtain and review the various types of deferments and cancelations available to Perkins loan borrowers, and download borrower forms. The phone number for Heartland ECSI is (888) 549-3274.
P.O. Box 718
Wexford, PA 15090-0718
You may also contact UNC Asheville Student Accounts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- At nine months after separation from UNCA, your grace period ends and the repayment of your Perkins Loan begins. You will receive three notifications from Heartland ECSI that the billing process will begin. Should you have problems with repayment, you should contact Heartland ECSI or the Student Accounts Office as soon as possible. Some circumstances will require the completion of a deferment form. Deferment forms can be found at the website www.heartlandecsi.com.
- If you continue your education at UNCA or another school /university, you must have an in-school deferment in order to stop the repayment process during this time.
- It is very important that you notify Heartland ECSI or UNCA if your address or phone number changes.
It is extremely important to keep your Perkins Loan current. Otherwise your delinquent loan will be charged late fees, the Credit Bureaus will be notified, and the account may be referred to the following places:
- North Carolina Attorney General’s Office
- North Carolina state approved collection agency
- NC Setoff Debt Collection Department for garnishment of State Taxes or any State refund such as lottery monies
Emergency Loan Eligibility Criteria
- You are a currently enrolled graduate or undergraduate student at UNC Asheville during the semester the funds are requested.
- You must be available to sign documents in person at the Student Accounts office.
- You are not within 30 days of graduation or the end of the academic year.
- You do not owe a prior-year debt to the University.
- You have not failed to pay, made late payments, or been referred to a collection agency on a prior emergency loan.
- You do not have any holds on your account.
- Tuition and fees must be paid in full before applying.
- You do not have any outstanding emergency loans in repayment.
- Students that currently have a balance due on their student account greater than $100 are not eligible.
Emergency Loan Application
Complete the Leonard S. Levitch Student Emergency Loan Application and submit it to the Director of Student Accounts located in the OneStop Office (#002 Ramsey Library).
- Student Emergency Loan Application must be completed in full. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Three separate references must be provided. One parent (or close relative) and two non-student references. Failure to provide complete addresses and active telephone numbers for each will consider the application incomplete.
- The specific reason for needing the emergency loan (including any supporting documentation) must be clearly stated.
- Provide the specific dollar amount needed (maximum $600). Please keep in mind that you are requesting money that you need for short-term purposes.
- Indicate the specific source(s) of repayment. If employed, provide employer’s name, weekly earning and when you receive your paycheck.
Emergency Loan Check Disbursement
- Notification of your application status & check disbursement will be sent to your UNC Asheville email account.
- Emergency Loan promissory notes are to be signed, checks are to be picked up and loans are to be repaid in the Student Accounts office.
- Loans will be cancelled if the promissory note is not signed and the check is not picked up within ten business days.