Leonard S. Levitch Student Emergency Loans are interest-free, short-term loans. The purpose of the loan is to finance emergency expenses for currently enrolled UNC Asheville students for which resources are temporarily not available. A loan may be approved in the event an emergency has occurred to prevent students from having funds available for living expenses, such as food, rent, books, childcare, etc. Emergency loans cannot be approved to pay University charges, such as tuition and fees, since this is a planned expense.
The Emergency Loan funds are financed by the Leonard S. Levitch Student Loan Fund and must be repaid by the due date, generally 30 days from disbursement. In no case will the repayment date be approved beyond the first day of the last month of the semester in which the loan is borrowed (i.e., not after December 1st or May 1st).
The University will attempt to deduct your emergency loan repayment from any future financial aid you may be expecting, but it is not guaranteed. It is the borrower’s responsibility to repay the emergency loan by the due date. Failure to repay will result in a “hold” being placed on your academic records preventing you from registering for future classes and will prevent the release of your transcript and other records until you have repaid the loan.
Emergency Loan Eligibility Criteria
- You are a currently enrolled graduate or undergraduate student at UNC Asheville during the semester the funds are requested.
- You must be available to sign documents in person at the Student Accounts office.
- You are not within 30 days of graduation or the end of the academic year.
- You do not owe a prior-year debt to the University.
- You have not failed to pay, made late payments, or been referred to a collection agency on a prior emergency loan.
- You do not have any holds on your account.
- Tuition and fees must be paid in full before applying.
- You do not have any outstanding emergency loans in repayment.
- Students that currently have a balance due on their student account greater than $100 are not eligible.
Emergency Loan Application
Complete the Leonard S. Levitch Student Emergency Loan Application and submit it to the Director of Student Accounts located in the OneStop Office (#002 Ramsey Library).
- Student Emergency Loan Application must be completed in full. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
- Three separate references must be provided. One parent (or close relative) and two non-student references. Failure to provide complete addresses and active telephone numbers for each will consider the application incomplete.
- The specific reason for needing the emergency loan (including any supporting documentation) must be clearly stated.
- Provide the specific dollar amount needed (maximum $600). Please keep in mind that you are requesting money that you need for short-term purposes.
- Indicate the specific source(s) of repayment. If employed, provide employer’s name, weekly earning and when you receive your paycheck.
Emergency Loan Check Disbursement
- Notification of your application status & check disbursement will be sent to your UNC Asheville email account.
- Emergency Loan promissory notes are to be signed, checks are to be picked up and loans are to be repaid in the Student Accounts office.
- Loans will be cancelled if the promissory note is not signed and the check is not picked up within ten business days.